🌎 Americas · English
Current: 🌎 Americas · English
Global
Focused
Language
Saturday 22 August
🌎 Americas · English
Current: 🌎 Americas · English
Global
Focused
Language

Judge Halts Construction of Trump's White House Ballroom

United States
The brief

A federal judge has temporarily halted the construction of President Trump's White House ballroom, citing a lack of proper authorization and procedures.

Context

The ruling follows a lawsuit filed by The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which argued that the project did not adhere to necessary legal requirements.S1S2

Key points

  • The judge ruled that Trump must seek congressional authorization before proceeding with the project.S2S3
  • The halted project involves a $400 million replacement for the East Wing of the White House.S2S4
  • The East Wing was demolished last year to make way for the new ballroom.S4
  • The National Trust for Historic Preservation filed the lawsuit that led to the ruling.S1S4
  • The judge indicated that the National Trust is likely to succeed in its case against the project.S1
  • The construction project was intended to be a 90,000-square-foot ballroom.S4
  • The ruling emphasizes the need for adherence to traditional approval processes for federal projects.S2S3
  • This decision reflects ongoing tensions between the Trump administration and preservation advocates.S1S4

Why it matters

  • The ruling underscores the importance of following legal protocols for federal construction projects.S2S3
  • It highlights the role of preservation organizations in challenging government projects that may threaten historic sites.S1S4

What to watch

  • Monitor any potential appeals from the Trump administration regarding the ruling.S2
  • Watch for responses from The National Trust for Historic Preservation and other advocacy groups.S1
  • Keep an eye on congressional reactions and any legislative moves related to the project.S3
Timeline · newest first
4mos ABC News

Trump administration asks appeals court to pause order halting White House ballroom construction

The Trump administration is arguing that a judge’s order to halt construction of a $400 million ballroom creates a security risk for the president

4mos ABC News

Judge orders White House ballroom construction to halt in a ruling that leaves Trump seething

A federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to suspend construction of a $400 million ballroom after it demolished the East Wing of the White House

4mos Al Jazeera

Judge halts Trump ballroom project; Trump says work can go on

Donald Trump seemed to suggest work on the $400 million White House ballroom could continue despite a judge’s order.

4mos Al Jazeera

Judge temporarily halts Trump’s $400m White House ballroom project

District Judge Richard Leon says construction has to stop until Congress provides statutory authorisation. A judge has ruled that US President Donald Trump cannot proceed with his…

4mos France 24

Judge orders suspension of Trump's White House ballroom construction

A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the Trump administration to halt construction of a $400 million White House ballroom after demolition of the East Wing, ruling the project cannot…

4mos Deutsche Welle · 2 reports

US judge orders Trump to halt ballroom construction

PoliticsUnited States of AmericaUS judge orders Trump to halt ballroom constructionJenipher Camino Gonzalez with AP, Reuters04/01/2026April 1, 2026The judge said US presidents are…

4mos Deutsche Welle · 2 reports

Court orders Trump to halt White House ballroom construction

PoliticsUnited States of AmericaCourt orders Trump to halt White House ballroom constructionJenipher Camino Gonzalez with AP, Reuters04/01/2026April 1, 2026The judge said US presid…

4mos BBC

Judge temporarily halts construction of Trump's White House ballroom

Judge temporarily halts construction of Trump's White House ballroom11 minutes agoShareSaveAdd as preferred on GoogleMax MatzaGetty ImagesA US judge has temporarily halted Presiden…

4mos The New York Times

Judge Orders Construction Stopped on Trump’s White House Ballroom

A federal judge required the president to seek lawmakers’ input and pursue traditional approvals before proceeding with the $400 million replacement for the East Wing.

4mos Washington Post

Judge halts construction on Trump’s White House ballroom

The planned $400 million project has been a priority for the president.

4mos The Guardian

US judge orders Trump to halt $400m White House ballroom project

Donald Trump talks to members of the media while holding up renderings of the planned White House ballroom on 29 March. Photograph: Elizabeth Frantz/ReutersView image in fullscreen…

Judge Halts Construction of Trump's White House Ballroom

8 outlets 14 reports
The brief

A federal judge has temporarily halted the construction of President Trump's White House ballroom, citing a lack of proper authorization and procedures.

Context

The ruling follows a lawsuit filed by The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which argued that the project did not adhere to necessary legal requirements.S1S2

Key points

  • The judge ruled that Trump must seek congressional authorization before proceeding with the project.S2S3
  • The halted project involves a $400 million replacement for the East Wing of the White House.S2S4
  • The East Wing was demolished last year to make way for the new ballroom.S4
  • The National Trust for Historic Preservation filed the lawsuit that led to the ruling.S1S4
  • The judge indicated that the National Trust is likely to succeed in its case against the project.S1
  • The construction project was intended to be a 90,000-square-foot ballroom.S4
  • The ruling emphasizes the need for adherence to traditional approval processes for federal projects.S2S3
  • This decision reflects ongoing tensions between the Trump administration and preservation advocates.S1S4

Why it matters

  • The ruling underscores the importance of following legal protocols for federal construction projects.S2S3
  • It highlights the role of preservation organizations in challenging government projects that may threaten historic sites.S1S4

What to watch

  • Monitor any potential appeals from the Trump administration regarding the ruling.S2
  • Watch for responses from The National Trust for Historic Preservation and other advocacy groups.S1
  • Keep an eye on congressional reactions and any legislative moves related to the project.S3
Timeline · newest first

Sources · 4 citations

S1 BBC 1 report · EN
S2 The New York Times 1 report · EN
S3 ABC News 3 reports · EN
S4 The Guardian 1 report · EN
Deutsche WelleLead 4 reports · EN
Al Jazeera 2 reports · EN
Washington Post 1 report · EN
+1 more outlets